The popularity of Tongkat Ali as an effective supplement for muscle building, stress relief, and male fertility have taken the world by storm. In this pandemic period with less exposure outside of our homes, who wouldn’t want to feel young and healthy? Most importantly, who wouldn’t want to have their libido back?
However, like every drug out there, there are precautions you have to watch out for if you decide to include Tongkat Ali in your diet.
The Positive Effects of Tongkat Ali
Before we go to that, let’s review what Tongkat Ali, also known as Long Jack or Eurycoma Longifolia, is an herb that grows within Southeast Asia, most especially in Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia.
Tongkat Ali is primarily used in traditional medicine to treat infections, malaria, and fever. Because it contains compounds such as flavonoids and alkaloids that act as antioxidants, it helps fight cellular damage caused by free radicals.
There are red, black, and yellow Tongkat Ali but keep in mind that they are all unrelated medicinal plants but sharing a similar common name. The yellow Tongkat Ali’s roots are the part that transforms into powder, an essential process so it can provide the benefits which can be consumed in pills or herbals drinks.
The potential health benefits of Tongkat Ali are as follow:
Tongkat Ali extract increases testosterone levels that help improve fertility amongst males
Aging, chemotherapy, injuries, sleep apnea, and other medications can cause low testosterone, resulting in low sex libido, infertility, and erectile dysfunction. There was a study that involved 76 older men who were suffering from low testosterone. After taking 200 mg of Tongkat Ali extract for a month, there were significantly increased hormones in about 90% of the participants.
There are also studies in both humans and animals that the Tongkat Ali extract helped stimulates sexual arousal, improved erectile dysfunction in men, and increase sperm motility and concentration.
Another study that involves 75 male partners who took 200 mg of Tongkat Ali extracts every day has shown an improvement of sperm concentration after three months, which helped 14% of them get pregnant.
Tongkat Ali extract relieves stress
A 1-month study with 63 adults supplemented with 200 mg of Tongkat Ali extract every day resulted in reduced levels of stress hormone in their saliva by 16%. The participants reported feeling less angry and less stressed.
In 1999, a study involving mice identified the role of this remedy in treating mood issues. It proves that Tongkat Ali extract is comparable to anti-anxiety medication in reducing symptoms.
Tongkat Ali improves body strength.
Because of the compounds such as eurycomaoside, eurycomanone, and eurycolactone, the extract can help the body reenergize, reduce fatigue, and improve endurance—this help improve endurance and physical performance, and body composition.
A 5-week study shows that taking 100 mg of Tongkat Ali extract every day increases the lean body mass of 14 men. It also results in losing more fat.
Taking Tongkat Ali is more effective when combined with regular exercise, which helps in muscle growth.
Any Warnings and Precautions for Taking Tongkat Ali Extract?
Before proceeding to take Tongkat Ali Extract, here are reasons not to take Tongkat Ali Extract:
- Do not take Tongkat Ali if you are allergic to the following ingredients: Eurycoma longifolia, longjack, pasak bumi. Some users reported allergic reactions when eating seafood along with Tongkat Ali.
- Make sure that your Tongkat Ali extract source does not include any mercury level in it. With one study showing 26% of Tongkat Ali supplements that contain mercury which can result in changes in mood and memory problems, you have to select the source of your Tongkat Ali extract thoroughly. Malaysia’s Bionutricia has developed a standardized Tongkat Ali Root extract tested by FRIM.
It is traditionally produced in the same way, but instead of basing the strength rating on the amount of root, analytical equipment in the form of ultra-high-pressure liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry is used to monitor the levels of the key active ingredients.
- Please keep it away from pregnant, breastfeeding women and children. Currently, some studies involved the above groups. In case of overdose, seek medical help immediately.
Women in Borneo take Tongkat Ali to boost their energy. It also works with menopausal women in maintaining progesterone production in their adrenal glands and ovaries.
- Take the recommended amount of Malaysian Tongkat Ali extract. Currently, 200 – 400 mg of Tongkat Ali were used in the said clinical trials, according to a 2016 review published in Molecules. Going beyond the recommended measurement may cause dizziness, insomnia and nauseousness.
Avoid taking it an hour before your bed time. If possible, take it in the morning or afternoon, just before going to the gym.
- The compound Eurycoma longifolia may decrease blood glucose levels. For people suffering from diabetes or hypoglycemia.
- Do not take Tongkat Ali extract if you are taking other drugs. This can cause severe reactions. If unsure, consult your doctor or pharmacist first.
- It is not recommended for people who have a weak immune system. If it is recommended by a healthcare professional, use it with caution.
- Men who have breast or prostate cancer, diabetes, heart, liver, and kidney disease must avoid taking Tongkat Ali.
Read This Before Taking Tongkat Ali
To ensure proper safety, consult your healthcare provider before taking Tongkat Ali. Ask questions such as how long you should take it and the recommended doses per day. Taking this supplement for an extended period of time is not yet proven to be beneficial or safe.
For the best source of Tongkat Ali extract, Bionutricia products are recommended whether you prefer to use it for yourself or resell it.
Using a reliable source can help you avoid problems in the future. All of Bionutricia’s products are taken at the recommended dosage and free from toxicity. Just a reminder to increase water intake afterward and pair it with a healthy diet and exercise for best results.